Portland Parish Church, Troon

Portland Parish Church, Troon

Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: 2 St. Meddans Street , Troon , KA10 6JU
Local Authority: South Ayrshire
Listing: B
WEBSITE

Church Overview

The present building was opened in 1914, being the third to house this congregation.  The practice of H E Clifford & Lunan was chosen to design the building in Perpendicular Gothic style using white sandstone.  Interior woodwork is white American oak throughout.  The Memorial Window was donated in 1921 by Mr Stephens of Stephens-Linthouse, the Glasgow shipbuilders, the design attributed to Sidney Meteyard, known as “The last of the Pre-Raphaelites”. The organ is a very fine Harrison and Harrison, rebuilt by them in 1961 and 2013 with electro-pneumatic action, electronic action.  The cost of the original organ of 1914 was subsidised by the Andrew Carnegie Trust by £400,  half the cost!  The floor of the chancel is paved in Iona marble mosaic and must surely be one of the last such works before the quarries on the island were worked out.  The Pulpit and Font are both carved from Auchenheath white sandstone.  The Pulpit front has Alpha and Omega and the Greek form of Christ carved on the front face.  The Font has a fish carved into the stone, an early Christian symbol, and the lead bowl insert was made by the Birmingham Craft Studio in 1913, a studio similar in design output to that of the famous William Morris Studio at Merton Abbey.  The lectern in carved oak was anonymously donated as a memorial to the lives lost in the Second World War.

Services

Sunday: 10.30 -11.45 am

Opening Arrangements

08.00 – 21.30 hours – 6 days\week

08.00 – 12.30 hours – 1 day\week

Access for partially abled  Induction loop for the deaf Welcomers and guides on duty by arrangement.  Disabled WC refreshments

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Portland Parish Church, Troon

Portland Parish Church, Troon

Contact Portland Parish Church, Troon

7 + 8 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.