Port of Menteith Church was built between 1876 and 1878 on the site of a previous church, dating from 1771, in a prominent position on the north east shore of the Lake of Menteith. Historical information available on the Port of Menteith suggests that a church has been sited here since before the Reformation. The church was category B listed in 1971. The church is historically significant for two reasons: firstly because it was designed by renowned and prolific Glasgow architect John Honeyman, who later became a partner in Honeyman and Keppie, the practice where Charles Rennie Mackintosh initially made his name; and secondly, for the very fine trefoil stained glass window by Stephen Adam which depicts faith, hope and charity. This was gifted by Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, Prime Minister from 1905 – 08, in memory of his father, Sir James MacOran Campbell, who was Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1840 – 43.
10.00 am every Sunday
Open every weekday 2.00-4.00 pm in July and August
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.