Penninghame St John's Church, Newton Stewart
Address: Church Street , Newton Stewart , DG8 6HG
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Church completed in 1840 to a design by William Burn. Groome’s Gazetteer describes it as ‘a handsome Gothic edifice’. Organ by J F Harston of Newark in 1878, believed to be the largest and most intact of all organs built by him; renovated by Hill, Norman & Beard 1962. Spire 151 feet. Tower clock with 32 foot pendulum, 1880, by James Ritchie of Edinburgh, restored 2004. All glass replaced 1996. Interesting display of Communion silver including two chalices dated 1711.
Penningham St John’s Parish Church is a Destination Hub on the St Ninian Pilgrim Journey.
Evening Service: 6.30 p.m. on first and third Sunday monthly )in Church Hall
“First Day” service: on first day of each month at 8.00 p.m. )
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.