Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Parton, DG7 3NE
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
A kirk, dedicated to St Inan or St Ninian and known as Kilennan, existed at Parton in 1296. The kirk was rebuilt in 1534 and its ruins stand in the churchyard. A new church with battlemented tower was built 1834, designed by Walter Newall. The interior was remodelled in the late 19th century. Burial place of William Macmath, who saved many old Border ballads, and of James Clerk Maxwell, eminent scientist.
9.30 or 11.00 am on 1st Sunday of the month
Open by arrangement
Contact Parton Kirk.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.