The Catholic congregation in Castle Douglas had their own church, St John’s, in Abercrombie Road, built in 1867. Due to structural problems, this building was closed and the congregation now worships in the Episcopal Church, St Ninian’s. Unusual Gothic polychrome granite church, designed by London architect, Edward Buckton Lamb, consisting of nave and chancel with a tower and porch. Inside, the pointed chancel arch is the main feature. Stained glass by Taylor in the nave and Ballantyne in the east window.
TuesdayÂ 11.00 am.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.