The Town Kirk of St Andrews was dedicated in 1234. The tower and some of the pillars of the present building date from 1412, the rest of the building was completely rebuilt on the original ground-plan in 1909. The architect was P MacGregor Chalmers, renowned for his church in a scholarly historic revival style. The south porch commemorates John Knox preaching here and the interior has the black-and-while marble monument to Archbishop Sharp, assassinated in 1679. The interior contains fine Arts & Crafts period furnishings. Much fine stained glass by Strachan, Davis, Hendrie, Wilson and others: clerestory windows have badges of all Scottish regiments of First World War. Elaborate memorial pulpit of Iona marble, alabaster and onyx. Decorated font of Caen stone. Memorial tomb of Archbishop Sharp. Oak barrel roof. Hunter Memorial Aisle has much fine wood-carving. Harrison & Harrison organ. Twenty-seven-bell carillon by Taylor of Loughborough.
Holy Trinity Parish Church is a Destination Hub on the St Andrew Pilgrim Journey.
9.00 am – Informal breakfast church Service
11.15 am Traditional Service with Choir
May to October, 10am to 4pm (when guardians are available) or by arrangement. The church office is open 10-12 weekdays.
Contact Parish Church of the Holy Trinity.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.