There has been a church on the site since the 6th century. The present church was built in 1805 to the design of Robert Nisbet; the steeple by William Sibbald. The interior was reorientated and remodelled in 1893 by J MacIntyre Henry and again in 2002 by Simpson & Brown. Known as the ‘Visible Kirk’ because of its prominent position, it stands on the site of a Roman praetorium and replaces a medieval church. Fine Adam-style ceiling and some excellent stained glass. Magnificent pipe organ by Lewis 1892, originally built with early form of electric action. Graveyard with many interesting old stones.
Open by arrangement
Contact St Michael's Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.