Up to 1888 the island’s sole Catholic Church had been St. Brendan’s at Craigston. In 1886 the Castlebay merchant, Neil MacNeil, bequeathed the sum of eight hundred pounds for building a church. The architect was Woulfe Brenan of Oban and the church opened on Christmas Eve 1886. In 1891 a bell and clock were added to the church tower – paid for by money collected locally.
The church has a nave and wide side aisles and a square tower and is built of the local granite. Statue by Dupon of Bruges of Our Lady Star of the Sea. Stained glass of crucifixion in sanctuary, and of Our Lady Star of the Sea installed as war memorial in early 1950s. Bell in tower; the clock chimes the hour during day and night.
Sunday: 11.30 am
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.