Our Lady & St Bean, Marydale, Cannich

Our Lady & St Bean, Marydale, Cannich

Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: Marydale, IV4 7LT
Local Authority: Highland
Listing: B
WEBSITE

Church Overview

Simple stone church in Gothic style, with adjoining presbytery, walled garden, school and schoolhouse, built as a unit by Joseph A Hansom 1868. St Bean is said to have been a monk of Iona, a cousin of St Columba, and the first to evangelise Strathglass. Sputan Bhain (NH 334 305) was the spring at which he baptised. On the other side of the road is Clachan Comair, a walled graveyard with the ruins of a small 17th-century church, on the site of an early 10th-century chapel dedicated to St Bean. In 1998 a new altar made from 300-year-old oak, designed by local artist Alistair MacPherson. The former presbytery is being developed as a monastic retreat, with an icon painting workshop.

Services

Sunday 4pm (except the 2nd Sunday in the month, when Mass will be at St Mary’s Eskadale)

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Our Lady & St Bean, Marydale, Cannich

Contact Our Lady & St Bean.

5 + 11 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.