The church in Vatersay is situated near the shore on one of the most beautiful bays imaginable. It is dedicated to Our Lady of the Waves and St John. It was opened in 1913.
Before the church was built the people of Vatersay journeyed by boat on Sundays to attend Mass at Castlebay on Barra. Today, Vatersay is reached by causeway from Barra.
4.00 pm on 1st Sunday of the month
Contact Our Lady of the Waves & St John.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.