Present building completed 1772 to a plan by George Fraser of Edinburgh on site of medieval church; lowest portion of the west bell-tower is 15th or 16th century. Traditionally thought to be the site where St Columba converted Brude, King of the Picts, to Christianity. Porches, apse and chancel arch date from 1891, to designs by Ross & Macbeth. The colours of the Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders are hung and the Regiment’s Books of Remembrance are housed in the church. Two-manual organ by Henry Willis & Sons 1895, restored by Nicholson & Co, 2010. Stained glass by, amongst others, Douglas Strachan 1925, Stephen Adam & Co 1893, and A Ballantine & Gardiner 1899.
Sunday 11.15am, summer evening services with guest preachers as advertised
Open June, July and August, Fridays 11.30am-2.00pm or by arrangement
Contact Old High Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.