New St Andrew’s Parish Church was opened in 1839 as Gartsherrie Parish Church for the benefit of the workers employed by Wm Baird & Co, Ironmasters, and their families. In 1993 it became St Andrew’s following a union with nearby Dunbeth and Maxwell Churches. In October 2008 St Andrew’s united with Clifton Church and became New St Andrew’s Parish Church, Coatbridge.
St Andrew’s is a red sandstone Gothic revival church with steeple and clock tower, architects Scott Stephen & Gale of Glasgow. The church occupies a commanding site with a large graveyard just a short walk uphill from the town centre. Very fine organ by Willis 1870, thoroughly renovated in 1937 with some additional stops. Stained glass by Alfred Webster, 1912, in the entrance vestibule.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.