Built in 1911 to replace original Telford church at Creag Mhor, using some of the original stone. Known as one of the finest rural churches in the Highlands. Most illustrious minister was Dr Alexander Stewart 1851-1901, known as ‘Nether Lochaber’ and renowned throughout the Celtic world for his wide-ranging learning and writing. Celtic cross, 20 feet, originally erected by the Stewart Society in Onich, and removed to Innis-na-Bhirlin cemetery, off A82 five miles north of Onich, when the road was widened. The grave of Dr Stewart and his wife Mary Janet Morrison is in the Old Burial Ground at Creag Mhor, North Ballchulish – adjacent to the site of the original Telford Church.
Sunday: 12.00 noon
Open by arrangement
Nether Lochaber Parish Church, Onich
Nether Lochaber Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.