There has been a Christian presence on the site for over 1,000 years. Originally a single-storey building, the church was enlarged 1746-98, including the balcony. Further alterations 1820. An important feature is a Gothic window above the vault of the Mure family of Caldwell. Stained glass by Stephen Adam. Nearby is a memorial to John Robertson, a native of Neilston, who built the engine for the Comet, the first steamship on the Clyde. Circular mort-house of 1817.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.