Early English Gothic-style church set on sloping terraces on corner site. Built as St Matthew’s in 1890 by Hippolyte Blanc. Cruciform design with side aisles and chancel in red sandstone. Fourteen stained glass windows on side aisles of nave, including the new St Cuthbert window to mark the 2003 union, and the St Andrew window in north transept. East window: ‘Four Apostles’, Sir Edward Burne-Jones 1900; west window: four scenes from the ministry of Jesus, Percy Bacon & Co 1905. Last ‘Father’ Willis organ in Scotland, installed 1901. An extension was added to the Church in 2010 designed by the Edinburgh Architects, LDN. The design won a Scottish Design Award in 2011. Morningside Parish Church is a union of five former churches the former St Matthew’s and then Cluny Parish Church (now the New Morningside Parish Church), Morningside Parish Church (Newbattle Terrace), Morningside High Church (now the Churchill Theatre), South Morningside Church (now the Cluny Centre) and Braid Church (now the Braid Centre).
Sunday: autumn, winter, spring 9.30am, 10.30am. Evening services as advertised; summer 10.30am (see website for details)
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.