The church of ‘Mereboda’ is recorded as belonging to the Diocese of Glasgow from about 1116. The building was burnt down in 1544 and rebuilt; the present structure dates substantially from 1757, extensions having been made in 1899 and 1903. It is oblong in plan, with chancel, porch and vestry which seem to be additions. Look for the plan in the porch which shows the archaeological work carried out in the early 1900s, and inscriptions painted on fabric on the west wall.
Morebattle Parish Church is a Destination Hub on the St Cuthbert Pilgrim Journey.
Sunday 11.15am except 1st Sunday (service at Linton)
or see website https://www.cheviotchurches.org/whats-on.html
Open during daylight hours
Contact Morebattle Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.