The original church of 1241, not on this site, was dedicated to St Ninian. The present church was built 1652, renovated 1820 and enlarged 1898 with the addition of the north aisle and vestry. On the outside of the south wall, the remains of a set of jougs can be seen. Birdcage belfry, bell dated 1707, sundial on south-east corner. Rose window in west gable.
Sunday: 11.45am, 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month
On the 5th Sunday of the month a united service takes place in one of the linked churches
Open by arrangement
Contact Mertoun Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.