Built 1865-66 to a design by architect James Barbour of Dumfries for Maxwelltown Free Church. Centenary Hall added in 1966 to a design by Bill Dickie of architects Sutherland, Dickie and Copland of Dumfries. The church is roughly rectangular in plan with semi-octagonal stair pods flanking the north frontage. The south gable has apse with high level stained glass windows screened by the organ pipe array (installed 1948 – but now decorative). Gate piers raised to accommodate War memorial gates from the former Laurie Knowe Church in 1999. A sandstone cross was erected to the new frontage in 2016 for the 150th anniversary and in the memory of the Rev Gordon M A Savage. Sculptor – Max Novell.
Sunday: 11.00 am
Open by arrangement
Contact Maxwelltown West Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.