A simple harled church of 1668 was built in the stormy times of the covenanters; there is a date of 1668 on the west gable. The church was rebuilt in 1689 and the bell-cote added in 1801. The church was renovated and ‘Gothicised’ in 1897 by architect G T Ewing who removed the gallery, added the porch and vestry and gave the building its round window in the west gable and the lancet windows in the side walls. The interior is mostly of the 1897 renovation, upgraded in the 1970s. Stained-glass windows by A Ballantine & Gardiner, 1897, and by Oscar Paterson, 1919.
Check church website for service times
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.