Lugar Parish Church is located in the village of Lugar,East Ayrshire,Scotland.It is situated off the main road at the back of a terrace of worker’s cottages at Craigston Square.The building, originally built as an engine shed in 1845,was converted for church use in 1867. The church is Grade C Listed and has been recorded by RCAHMS for it’s role in Scotland’s industrial heritage as well as by Scotland’s Church Heritage Research.There are interesting history about William Baird and the Ironworks in Lugar.the Church building itself is the last tangible feature linking the current village to its past industrial heritage. Furthermore, William Murdoch, a Scottish engineer and inventor famous for gas lighting, was born in Lugar in 1754.A gas light dating back to his era is at the entrance road to the Church,just off the A70. Lugar is in the centre of the Covenanters area and memorials are within walking distance from the village.
We are a registered Charity and part of the Church of Scotland,the church functions today as a place of worship every Sunday,where weddings and funerals take place (11 in the first ten weeks of 2018)and where community events are celebrated such as remembrance services in November as the War Memorial is in the church grounds. The War Memorial itself is unique in that not only names of those who fell but also those who returned from the Second World War. The First World War Memorial is found inside the the Church at the front for all to see.
In 2017 the church celebrated 150 years and to add to the celebrations we were able to re-roof the building and renew the belfry.
Open daily. Public access to Church by well-signposted lane off A70. Ample Car Parking at side of Church for visitors.
disabled toilet is included in planned changes to interior of Church
Contact Lugar Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.
As a trusted partner of the National Churches Trust, we have access to a number of additional grants for projects as part of the Partnership Grants Programme. The Programme has provided over £1 million in grant funding towards repairs at churches and chapels over the last five years, and can now support some installation of facilities. Applications should be made directly to us following our usual application procedure.
15 North Bank St.
Edinburgh. EH1 2LP
0131 225 8644