The first parish church was built in 1827 as a Parliamentary Church funded by the Government to assist this population movement. This proved inadequate for the growing community, and was replaced in 1885 by the larger present building, complete with clock bell tower. The architect was John Honeyman of Glasgow.
The Chancel window is magnificent. It comprises three lancets depicting the nativity with the centre light showing Mary, Joseph and the Christ Child in the stable. The left light shows the three Kings and the right light shows the shepherds. There are two cherubs at centre base and each light is topped by richly coloured angels. This is the work of Henry Holiday and it is signed and dated at the bottom of the centre light. They were dedicated in 1904
Wednesdays 10.am – 2.30pm and Saturday mornings
Contact Lochgilphead Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.