There has been a church on the site since the 12th century. The present building was rebuilt in 1732. The church contains late 18th-century pews and a Victorian pulpit with Georgian sounding board and a pretty stair. Pewter communion vessels and old collecting shovels on display. A plaque in the church commemorates Covenanters from the village who were drowned off Orkney in 1679. The kirkyard has some fine monuments from the 17th and 18th centuries, including some lively headstones featuring phoenixes, leafy cartouches and mementi mori.
In 2010 the building was renovated in consultation with Historic Scotland and the General Trustees of the Church of Scotland being given new roof timbers and a new internal roof and new slating. The external walls were treated with a lime wash to allow the stonework to breathe.
To mark the centenary of the start of World War One a new inscription was added to the War Memorial at the gate to the effect that information on those listed on the Memorial and others from the area who have come to light recently is contained in a Book of Rememberance held in the Kirk. A facsimile of the Parish Roll of Honour is also displayed.
The Heritage Centre at Mill Farm is about half a mile distant
Sunday 9.45 am
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.