Lansdowne Parish Church, Glasgow

Lansdowne Parish Church, Glasgow

Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: 416 Great Western Road, Glasgow, G4 9HZ
Local Authority: Glasgow
Listing: A
WEBSITE

Church Overview

Built 1863 to a design by John Honeyman. The spire of 218 feet, one of the slimmest in Europe, is a powerful landmark on Great Western Road. Box pews. Beautiful stained glass by Alfred and Gordon Webster, and war memorial frieze by Evelyn Beale. Pipe organ 1911, Norman & Beard, said to have the finest tuba rank in Glasgow with some wonderful flutes. Four Acres Charitable Trust FACT is seeking funding for the restoration of this important church. Services are held in the church hall. The church sanctuary is available for use, too, thanks to a recent grant which allowed the Four Acres Charitable Trust to install a protective crash net. The church hall and rooms are extensively used by community groups, clubs, societies and individuals.

Services

Sunday 11.00 am in the church hall.

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

 

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Lansdowne Parish Church, Glasgow

Contact Lansdowne Parish Church.

5 + 4 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.