A massive campanile tower over 90ft high sits above this Gothic-style, red sandstone building by H & D Barclay 1886. The church was built by 12th Duke of Hamilton to replace an earlier building of 1773. Boarded, barrel-vaulted ceiling and carved, wooden tripartite Gothic sedilia. The tower hosts a peal of nine bells played every Sunday before service, the largest peal still existing cast for a Scottish church in a Scottish foundry.
Seven stained glass windows by Anning Bell, Meiklejohn, Gordon Webster and Christian Shaw; all other windows are hand-painted, German cathedral glass. Pipe organ, William Hill, Norman & Beard 1934.
In the front grounds are an ancient cross and baptismal font from the old monastery on Holy Isle in Lamlash Bay.
Major restoration programme completed 2012.
Open by arrangement
Contact Lamlash Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.