Kirkmichael Parish Church, Ayrshire
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: 80 Patna Road, Kirkmichael, KA19 7PJ
Local Authority: South Ayrshire
Believed to stand on the site of a 13th-century church under the care of the monks of Whithorn, the present church was built 1787 by Hugh Cairncross, and the belfry rebuilt 1887. Stone pulpit of 1919 depicting St Michael, St George, St Andrew and St Patrick incorporates the war Memorial. Two large stained glass windows either side of the pulpit, one by Christopher Whitworth Whall. The oldest building is the lychgate; the bell inside is dated 1702 and is still rung when a bride leaves the church after her wedding. Interesting stones in surrounding graveyard, including Covenanter’s Memorial, open every day.
Open by arrangement
Contact Kirkmichael Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.