A church on this site was founded by Nechtan, King of the Picts and dedicated to St Bride of Kildare. The first stone church was built by Gartnaidh, King of the Picts around 590 AD. After the reformation in 1560 the church was in the care of the Superintendent of St Andrew’s until a minister was apointed. In 1733 the minister at Abernethy seceded with three others. The two churches united in 1951 to form the present parish church. The medieval building was demolished in 1802 prior to the construction of the present church. There are interesting stained glass windows and in the kirkyard a 10th century stone Round Tower, one of only two in Scotland. It is a category C Listed Place of Worship, historic Scotland reference 208577. The church became half of the united charge of Abernethy, Dron and Arngask in 2006.
Since Arngask and the Kirk of St Bride, Abernethy often alternate their service times, please check the current times on the website.
Open by arrangement
Kirk of St Bride.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.