Built in 1774 by John Garland and John Wright with the tower by David Hamilton, 1815. The church is on the site of the ruined Abbey, founded in 1188, and replaced the first Reformation church built in 1590. The organ built by Forster &; Andrews of Hull was first played in 1897 and is highly regarded having been awarded a Grade One Historic Organ Certificate by the British Institute of Organ Studies. There are eleven beautiful stained glass windows reflecting different messages from the Old and New Testaments. The church has strong links with the Earls of Eglinton who in the past would appoint its ministers. They had there own gallery in the in the Church for the Sunday services. The Church is a Destination Hub on the St Ninian Pilgrim Journey.
Open by arrangement
Guides by arrangement. Short history and guide to stained glass windows.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.