The first church in Kilrenny was probably connected with St Adrian, an Irish monk who lived in a cave at nearby Caiplie until killed by vikings in 875. Whilst it is unknown what happened to it, a replacement was built in the early part of the 1200s and dedicated in 1243. The tower dates back to the 1400s and the parapet and tower to the 1500s. The body of the old church was replaced in 1807-08 with the present building; the architect was Alexander Leslie. The porch was added in 1932 by Gillespie & Scott. In 1930 the interior of the building was re-ordered. The outside stairs and surrounding galleries were removed, leaving a single gallery at the west end. The pulpit and wall panelling were purchased from the former St Mary’s Church in St Andrews.
In September 2017 Anstruther Church and Cellardyke Church united. We are now called: St Ayle Church of Scotland in Anstruther and Cellardyke. Linked with Kilrenny. All 3 buildings continue to be used.The name of St Ayle was chosen as there was a chapel dedicated to St Ayle which fell into disrepair and closed in the year John Knox preached there!
Sunday 9.45 am. Joint services with Anstruther and Cellardyke held regularly – check the website.
Open by arrangement
Contact Kilrenny Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.