Kilmeny Parish is an ancient parish; the present church stands about 400m north east of its medieval predecessor standing within the old graveyard. There is evidence of a number of early Celtic Church foundations within the parish boundary, and nearby is the famous Finlaggan site, administrative centre of the Lords of the Isles. The church was built in 1828 when Parliament voted funds to build new churches in Scotland and commissioned Thomas Telford to design simple churches and manses for remote areas. Telford’s design was adapted by heritor Walter F Campbell.
The church has been the recipient of some fine gifts, the most recent being an organ donated by the Caol Ila Distillery Company during their 125th anniversary in 1996. The interior has recently been upgraded with confortable seating both on pews and padded chairs. The church vestry has been renovated to provide wheelchair access.
Kilmeny parish was linked with Kilchoman and Portnahaven in 2006. On 1st January 2018 the parishes of Kilchoman, Kilmeny and Portnahaven united to become North & West Islay Church of Scotland.
Sunday: 10.00 am
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.