Killean & Kilchenzie Parish Church
Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: A’Chleit, Tarbert, PA29 6XD
Local Authority: Argyll & Bute
The church, probably built 1787-91 by Thomas Cairns, is set on a promontory out to sea (a so-called ‘dyke’ of volcanic rock). It replaced Killean Church which had fallen into disrepair around 1760. The exterior is white harled with round arched windows. A belfry added 1879 by Robert Weir. The pulpit, in the long west wall, is a First World War Memorial with Celtic style carving and faces a large laird’s loft, which has its own separate entrance. Beside the pulpit is a marble monument of 1818 to Col. Norman Macalister who donated to the poor of the parish. The north gallery was converted into meeting rooms and storage in the early 1970s. The current Church Hall was built 1891 as the local school with the adjacent dwelling as the School House. The nearby beach is accessible for picnics.
Contact Killean & Kilchenzie Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.