White-harled T-plan church which has been a place of worship since 1235 and the foundations are from this date. The church was rebuilt in 1759, incorporating the Lamont Vault of 1633. Renovated by John Honeyman in 1882 giving the church interior and layout we see today. Stones and monuments of interest. An extensive restoration of the building following Honeyman’s design was completed in 2004. The church has important links with the Clan Lamont an the Clan McEwen. In 2016 the Lamont Vault interior was restored and improved to provide a well lit display space for the collection of Historic Stones with a gallery above with interpration boards. The Stones can be viewed from either level 24/7.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.