This striking 18th-century church, known as ‘The Round Church’, was built by Daniel Campbell of Shawfield and Islay in 1767 at a cost of £1000. Bowmore is a ‘planned village’ for those of the village of Kilarrow who were not directly involved in the work of Islay Estate, mainly agricultural workers and weavers. The unusual design of the church makes it the only complete circular church in Scotland. The main wooden central pillar is 19 inches in diameter, possibly of hemlock oak, harled and plastered. Above the coved ceiling is a radial king-post roof truss into which eight major beams are jointed. The church has two storeys, the U-shaped gallery was added in 1830, increasing its capacity to 500.
Kilarrow Parish Church is a Destination Hub on the St Columba Pilgrim Journey.
Open daily 9.00am-6.00pm
Contact Kilarrow Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.