Kelvinside Hillhead Church, Glasgow

Kelvinside Hillhead Church, Glasgow

Denomination: Church of Scotland
Address: Saltoun Street, Glasgow, G12 9AD
Local Authority: Glasgow
Listing: A
WEBSITE

Church Overview

This handsome church sits on a sloping site so the halls are accommodated in the under-building. Opened in 1876, the unconventional design by James Sellars is said to have been much influenced by William Leiper. A tall apsed church in the French Gothic style, modelled on Sainte Chapelle in Paris, as the congregation wished to dispense with pillars which would, however beautiful, interfere greatly with seeing and hearing. The chancel was remodelled by Peter MacGregor Chalmers in 1921 as a war memorial.

The rich furnishings include the communion table of Rochette marble and a marble font with richly carved wooden canopy. Exceptionally fine stained glass by Burne-Jones for William Morris & Co 1893 and Sadie McLellan 1958. Organ by H Willis & Son 1876, restored in 1930.

Services

Sundays: 11.00 am all year and 8.00 pm October to May

Opening Arrangements

Open Saturday 3.00-5.00pm or by arrangement

 

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Kelvinside Hillhead Church, Glasgow

Contact Kelvinside Hillhead Church.

4 + 11 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.