The present red sandstone building opened in 1903, designed in Arts & Crafts Gothic by the Edinburgh architect George Mackie Watson, who was also responsible for the design of the oak communion table, pulpit and font. The chancel was was added as a war memorial after the Great War, with Charles d’Orville Pilkington Jackson carving the choir screen and a stone memorial after World War Two. Three stained glass windows by Gordon Webster, the Glasgow-based artist, representing the Te Deum Laudamus, were installed in 1970. A Rushworth & Dreaper organ was installed in 1931 with a major console upgrade in 2008 and pipes rebuilt in 2014. In September 2011, St Serf’s united with its neighbour, Inverleith, to create a new congregation called Inverleith St Serf’s.Since 2011 the Transept Chapel now contains the Inverleith communion table, war memorial and lecturn.
In 2014 the orgininal Inverleith (St James’) stone font and memorial stained glass windows were moved to the Inverleith St Serf’s building. During 2015 and 2016 there was a major extension and upgrading of the church halls which are now known as the Inverleith St Serf’s Church Centre.
Sunday 10.30 am.
Open by arrangement
Contact St Serf's.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.