Built between 1864 and 1867, the church is the work of Frederick Thomas Pilkington. Its most striking features are the beautiful east elevation, the minaret windows and the elaborate carving. The chancel was added by J McIntyre Henry in 1889. Stained glass windows by Ballantine and Son, 2-manual pipe-organ by Brook & Co, 1892. On a plinth in front of the church stands part of the shaft of a 9th-century decorated cross, discovered in the foundations of the earlier church. Vestibule is open April to September 2013 from 10 am to 4 pm for access to Runic Cross interpretation area.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.