Set in an ox-bow of Humbie Burn, you would need to go a very long way to find a church with a more attractive setting. On the site of a pre-Reformation church, Humbie Kirk is a T-plan Gothic church by James Tod of 1800. Vestry added 1846, and alterations by David Bryce 1866. The chancel added 1930, probably W J Walker Todd. Open scissor-braced timber roof. East window stained glass by Douglas Strachan. Organ c.1850, probably the work of an Edinburgh builder with decorative Gothic dark wood case, from the Norwegian Seamen’s Chapel at Granton. Fine gravestones of the 17th and 18th century with classical detail dating from earlier church. Two plaques for the united parishes of Humbie and Keith which have had only 25 ministers since 1590.
Sunday: 9.30 am
Contact Humbie Kirk.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.