The church, designed by Glasgow architect John Honeyman and completed in 1888, replaced an earlier 12th-century building vacated in 1612 when the congregation was rehoused in a new kirk at Dirleton. The Kirk Session of Dirleton decided to build the present parish church for the benefit of ‘the large number of summer visitors annually residing in the village’. Simple Norman style with east apse. The zig-zagged chancel arch is derived from the old parish church, as is the south doorway whose tympanum has a low relief of St Andrew. Murray Memorial windows with beautiful painted glass by John Clark, 2003.
Open daily 9.00am-5.00pm
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.