Greyfriars, Kirkcudbright

Greyfriars, Kirkcudbright

Denomination: Scottish Episcopal
Address: St Cuthbert Street , Kirkcudbright , DG6 4HZ
Local Authority: Dumfries & Galloway
Listing: A
WEBSITE

Church Overview

The sanctuary of Greyfriars Church is the last remaining fragment of a Franciscan friary. Dating from either the 13th or 15th centuries, it has undergone many changes in both design and use over the years. The MacClellan Monument, erected in 1597, is one of the most interesting features of the church. On the left of the high altar is an ancient piscina. There are also three fine modern stained glass windows including work by Gordon Webster. The cross and candlesticks are the work of Mabel Brunton, a distinguished member of the artists’ colony which flourished in the town in the 1920s. Other interesting furnishings are the 17th-century dower chest and the medieval holy water stoup.

Services

Sunday 8.00am Holy Communion and 11.00am Sung Eucharist, Thursday 10.00am Holy Communion

Opening Arrangements

Open by arrangement

Guide book available Access for partially abled  Induction loop for the deaf  toilets available

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Greyfriars, Kirkcudbright

Contact Greyfriars.

6 + 1 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.