The town church of Dumfries, the steeple dominates both the church and the townscape. A richly ornamented Gothic Revival building by John Starforth, 1868, with plenty of crisply carved detail, all in red sandstone. The interior is large and decorated with clustered shafts with leafy capitals and king-truss timber roofs. Stained glass by James Ballantine & Son, Powell Bros, Camm Bros amd L C Levetts. The Dumfries Provost’s and Baillies’ chairs are kept in the church. Three churches known as Greyfriars have existed in Dumfries; this church was paid for by the people of Dumfries. The Town Bell cast by Wm Evans of Chepstow (1744) still rings daily for the Angelus and Curfew.
Sunday Holy Mass (English Missal) 11.30 am. See website for details of other services. All our worship is in traditional (Prayer Book) language and is conducted by validly and regularly ordained male Anglican priests.
Open by arrangement
Contact Greyfriars Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.