John F Matthew (of Lorimer and Matthew), 1936. Foundation Stone laid by HRH The Duke of York, later King George VI.
Cruciform-plan Church of Scotland extension church with adjoining hall to NE; Scottish Arts and Crafts tradition. Tower to re-entrant between chancel and N transept with linking section to church hall adjoining to N; whole complex forms overall Z-plan. Coursed snecked and rake-jointed Craigmillar sandstone rubble of pinkish hue with contrasting rockfaced and tooled ashlar dressings. Projecting base course to most parts; splayed rockfaced long and short dressings to openings; projecting stone sills; tooled ashlar coping to eaves and gable ends. All leaded windows.
Regular public and Church arranged events throughout the year. By arrangement.
Contact Granton Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.
As a trusted partner of the National Churches Trust, we have access to a number of additional grants for projects as part of the Partnership Grants Programme. The Programme has provided over £1 million in grant funding towards repairs at churches and chapels over the last five years, and can now support some installation of facilities. Applications should be made directly to us following our usual application procedure.
15 North Bank St.
Edinburgh. EH1 2LP
0131 225 8644