Gordon Chapel, Fochabers

Gordon Chapel, Fochabers

Denomination:   Scottish Episcopal
Address:   Castle Street, Fochabers, IV32 7DW
Local Authority:   Moray
Listing:   A
WEBSITE

Church Overview

A delightful small episcopal chapel in one of the finest planned villages in Scotland. The Gordon Chapel was built at the behest of Elizabeth Brodie, Duchess of Gordon; she even sold some of her jewellery to raise funds. The chapel was designed by Archibald Simpson and was dedicated in 1834 and restored 2009-11. The church is upstairs with a flat (originally a school) below. The exceptionally fine stained-glass windows, many designed by Burne-Jones and made by William Morris & Company, were added between the years 1874 and 1919. Each of the windows commemorates a member or members of the Gordon Lennox family. The windows depict images of Christ or saints in vignettes against backgrounds of elaborate foliage, different for each window, Fine organ by Hill 1874. A lift was installed in 2019.

Services

Sundays: 10.00am; 2nd Wednesday 2.30 pm

Opening Arrangements

10-4 daily

 

Guide book available   Induction loop for the deaf  toilets available inventorylift will take some wheelchairs

Image Gallery

Click image to open gallery.

Gordon Chapel

Contact Gordon Chapel, Fochabers.

12 + 7 =

Disclaimer

The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.