Present church, designed by John Brash of Glasgow, erected 1809 on site of Christian worship since 1252 (Yew Tree planted in north-west corner of the Kirkyard in 2002 to mark the 750th anniversary). Third church since Reformation. Spire of 120 feet. Chancel added 1912 and 3-manual pipe organ by J J Binns 1913. Stained glass windows the work of Oscar Paterson, a contemporary of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Church building renovations carried out in 1999 and 2018-19. Floodlit since 2000. Ministers include Dr George Smith, great-grandfather of Robert Louis Stevenson and mentioned by Robert Burns in ‘The Holy Fair’ (grave on north side of church). Also Rev Robert Stirling, inventor of the Stirling Engine and who served Galston during the Cholera Epidemic. Gravestone of Andrew Richmond, killed by Graham of Claverhouse, on south porch door along with a memorial to five Covenanters. Visit www.kirknews.org.uk for lots more historical information about Galston Parish Church.
Open by arrangement telephone 07483890909
Guides by arrangement – telephone 07483890909
Contact Galston Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.