Friockheim Kinnell Church
Address: Gardyne St, Friockheim, DD11 4SN
Local Authority: Angus
The west end of the church is dominated by the central square tower. The main entrance into the church is through a pointed-arch doorway in the west face of the tower. It has square pilasters and a substantial lintel. Half way up the tower are blind, arched openings. At belfry level large clock faces were inserted to the west and east faces, in 1885. The north and south faces have pairs of round-arched louvered openings. The tower is capped by a small piended slate roof with a metal weathervane. The original spire of the tower was removed in 1950. The west gable of the church has rectangular windows at ground level and round-arched windows above. All the windows of the church have clear, multi-pane glass. There are elaborate pinnacles on the gable’s skew ends, with ashlar facing below.
The north elevation of the church has a stair tower at the junction of the nave and side aisle. The tower has a doorway and small rectangular windows. The extension added in 1840 has a north-facing gable, which features a central doorway and rectangular windows at ground and first floor levels. There are pinnacles at the skew ends and a small finial on the apex of the gable. The south elevation simply has two very large rectangular windows, symmetrically placed.
The original east gable of the church is fairly plain. There is a round-arched window at ground floor level, with a second window above blocked up some time ago. A single storey U-plan extension was added to the east end of the church. This houses the vestry, kitchen area and the church hall.
10:00am or 11:30am in a four month rotation
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.