Fenwick Parish Church
Denomination: Church of Scotland
OS Reference: NS465435
Address: Kirkton Road , Fenwick , KA3 6DH
Local Authority: East Ayrshire
Built 1643 in the shape of a Greek cross, with four arms of equal length. This ‘central planning’ is an important feature of presbyterian worship in Scotland. Traditional features to look out for are the outside stairs, crowstepped gables and the jougs. The various galleries, or lofts, were for the various families of the parish and have different outside stairs. Crowstepped gables are characteristic of Scottish vernacular architecture. The jougs are an iron collar to tether offenders and may be found on the south wall. The walled graveyard contains several notable graves and monuments. At the entrance to the churchyard are little ‘sentry boxes’, built in 1828, to house the elders of the church collecting offerings from worshippers. Several Covenanting artefacts, including the battle-flag of the Fenwick Covenanters.
Open by arrangement
Contact this church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.