A small hospice was dedicated to St Modan in 1137. By 1560 this was in ruins and the congregation took over Soutra Church. In 1618 the Fala and Soutra congregation was housed in Fala Church. David Bryce reworked the 18th century church in 1860, adding porches and the belfry. ‘Dorcas’ window, 1869, and windows by Crear McCartnery, 1993 and Elaine Adams, 1998. The church has other interesting artefacts and modern artwork. Nearby is the small Soutra Aisle, a small, stone, barrel-vaulted building, all that remains of the medieval hospital and the site of an extensive archaeological dig which yielded much information about medieval medical practice.
Sunday service is held in one of the three churches of the Tyne Valley Parish. Please check the website for details.
Open by arrangement
Contact Fala and Soutra Parish Church.
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.