Remarkably intact example of a mid-eighteenth century church, built 1743 on a much older site. Long, low harled building with rectangular windows and piended dormers. Burial enclosures (now roffless) are built against the gables. The encloseure to the east dates from 1637; to the west is the enclosure of the Baillies of Rosehall in Tudor Gothic, 1821.
Galleried interior with two-tier pulpit, elders’ pews, front pews with fold-down backs to form long communion tables. Pictish symbol stone in churchyard. Superb 19th century preaching ‘ark’ in adjacent new burial ground.
Edderton Old Church became the Free Church after the Disruption in 1843. Today it is preserved by the Edderton Old Church Preservation Trust.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.