Eccles Parish Church
Address: , Eccles , TD5 7QS
Local Authority: Scottish Borders
First documented in 1156, dedicated to St Mary; rededicated to St Andrew in 1248. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, stored corn burned in 1543, in 1544 the church was assaulted and 80 people slain, in 1545 Hecles Abbey was one of the places ‘brent, rased and cast downe’. The oldest surviving relic is a bell dated 1659. The present church was built in 1774 with seating for 1,000 people, before major internal renovations in 1930. The building is a large hall church with roundheaded and circular windows. A square tower with octagonal belfry rises above the main entrance. War Memorial window of 1948 by Douglas McLundie of Abbey Studios.
Sunday 9.45 am
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.