Noble Georgian rectangle by James Smith (Nairn) and James Smith (Auldearn), built 1781. Rectangular church with symmetrical 6-bay elevation with large round-headed windows, the two end windows surmount the original entrances. Gothic gabled porch added 1855-60. The original layout remains with pews on three sides facing the central 3-decker pulpit with stairs with slender balusters in the centre of the south wall. Renovated 1952 when the present ceiling was inserted (covering the sounding board of the pulpit). The church hall was converted from an early-mid 18th century burial mausoleum. War Memorial gate by Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1921-22. The Rodney Stone, a 9th century Pictish symbol stone, was found in the churchyard during the digging of the foundations; it was set up on a site in Brodie Castle grounds to commemorate the victory of Admiral Lord Rodney over the French and Spanish fleets at Dominica in 1782. Close to Brodie Castle.
Open by arrangement
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.