Dunscore Church was designed by James Thomson, a Dumfries architect, in Innocent Gothic Style and was constructed in 1823/4. It is a A-listed building with reference made to the “horseshoe gallery, with panelled front, on plain columns, curved pulpit below a domed sounding board, latter supported by pilastered and panelled back board on west wall, flanking doors at middle stage of tower, with flight of steps to each”. A small heritage centre is being developed on the history of the church with particular reference to Jane Haining, a Dunscore resident who, in the service of the Church of Scotland, went as a matron to Jewish and non-Jewish children at a school in Budapest and who died in Auschwitz.
Sunday: 10.00am or 11.45am, 7.00pm on second Sunday of the month (The times of Sunday morning services alternate between 10 am and 11,45 am annually, starting each July, with our sister church in Moniaive.)
Open by arrangement
Contact Dunscore Parish Church
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.