Duns Parish Church stands in the heart of Berwickshire’s county town. The first record of a church in Duns dates to 1116. Most of the present building dates from 1880, replacing the previous church which burnt down the year before, although the spire is of the previous church, built in 1790. Designed by Wardrop & Reid, the 1880 church is a T-plan building with added porches and a hall. The 1790 tower has classical details and is topped with an octagonal stone spire. The interior has galleries on three sides, supported on cast-iron columns. Oak hammerbeam roof with coving at centre supporting skylight. The communion table is from 1909. Spectacular 3-tier Connacher organ with blind arcading to second tier and pipes with original stencilled decoration to third. Stained glass by D Small of Edinburgh. Many 18th- and 19th century memorials in the church yard. The transepts and nave of the medieval church is marked by the burial enclosures of the families of Wedderburn, Duns Castle and Manderston.
Sunday 11.00 am
The information about churches in Scotland’s Churches Scheme has been provided by the congregations or taken from the Historic Scotland list and published sources, in particular, the Buildings of Scotland volumes and the RIAS Illustrated Architectural Guides. To contact this specific church please complete the Contact this Church form above. The information is not authoritative; please contact Scotland’s Churches Trust to let us know of any errors or omissions.